MBBS admission for NRI students in India. Popular medical courses such as MBBS, BDS and other UG level courses are in demand among students after the 12th standard as a career and they must pass the NEET entrance examination for medical education.
The NTA NEET exam, medical education rules and policies are administered and approved by the Medical Council of India (MCI). MCI allocates places to different colleges for admission based on NEET scores and student grades/ranking in the class. These admission places are divided into All India quota and State quota where 15% of the places are All India quota and 85% State quota. In addition to the All India and State quota (for Indian Resident Students), there is also a special 15% reserved special quota for NRIs (Non-Indian Residents) called the NRI quota.
The NRI quota is reserved by MCI exclusively for students living and studying outside of India but from their country of origin. Thanks to the NRI quota, these NRI students can easily get admission to these 15% reserved places and study at the Indian Medical College. Indian Origins (POI) and Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) are also included in the NRI quota.
MBBS NRI Quota Admission Process
Admission to the NRI quota for eligible candidates started from the NEET entrance exam, in which they are required to get a qualifying grade.
After the announcement of the results, candidates must register on the official MCC website for the consultation process. Higher ranked students were then given first place based on grade and NEET score. Each state has its own NRI quota advising process.
How to apply?
After receiving a NEET result, you must apply for an NRI quota during a government consultation. NRI places in public and private healthcare facilities are only available at the state level. If you are an NRI student applying for NRI quota admission to medical college, follow these steps:
- On the NTA NEET website, you can apply to take the NEET-UG test.
- Pass the NEET test.
- If you would like to apply for an NRI quota at a public or private medical school, please register for a government consultation.
- Each state has its own procedure for admission to the NRI quota.
Documents required for NRI MBBS quota in India
- Candidates are required to submit the following documents,
- Grade 10 Result Sheet (X)
- Grade 10 Certificate (X)
- 12th (twelfth) Result sheet
- Certificate of passing 12th
- Evaluation Sheet of Eligibility Test
- Vaccination certificate
- Certificate of Transfer
- Health insurance certificate
- Valid passport
- Student visa
- NOC from Ministry of External Affairs, GOI (Government of India), New Delhi
- No Objection Certificate (NOC) issued by the Ambassador / Competent Officer of the candidate’s country authorizes the candidate to stay and study in India.
- Health information
- Migration certificate
Applicants meet NRI quota criteria
These students/candidates qualify for the MBBS NRI Quota Admission as they meet the following criteria:
- Foreign Citizens of India (OCI) of Indian Origin (PIO) and their children are considered NRIs.
- Students who are children of government or central government employees who are abroad during the period of deputation are considered NRIs.
- Students must be of Indian origin and must live or study abroad.
- Children of Indian citizens living abroad for business or work are also considered NRIs.
- Applicants of Indian origin who are foreign-born but have parental origins fall into the NRI category.
- Students who meet these criteria qualify for the NRI quota, now let’s see what is their eligibility for the NRI quota in India.
MBBS NRI Quota Admission Eligibility for MBBS Admission
- Students must meet the above NRI quota criteria.
- Applicants must have a valid passport
- The seats offered under NRI quota will be given only to honest NRIs.
- Applicants must pass the eligible NEET exam
- Applicants applying under NRI sponsorship must have a real blood relationship with financial support, be it mother, sister, father, brother, aunt or uncle.
Frequently Asked Questions About MBBS NRI Quota Admission
1. How to apply for MBBS NRI quota Admission?
Eligible NRI students must take the NEET exam and then, once the results are announced, eligible students must register on the official MCI website to begin the NRI quota counseling process.
2. Does an NRI student have to come to India to take the NEET UG exam?
No, it is not necessary to come to India to take the NEET exam, there are many examination centers outside India.
3. Who is eligible for the NRI quota in NEET or medical colleges?
NRI – Non-Resident Indian Students (POI) of Indian descent, Overseas Citizens of India (OCI), and their children, who are children of government or Central Government officials who are abroad during the period of deputation are considered NRIs. Students of Indian descent live or study in another country. Applicants born abroad but of Indian descent are eligible for the NRI quota.
4. How can I apply for the NRI quota in NEET?
Admission to the NRI quota for eligible candidates started from the NEET entrance exam, in which they are required to get a qualifying grade. After the results are announced, candidates are required to register on the official MCC website for the consultation process. At this stage, they need to choose the places in the NRI quota that offer the colleges of their choice.
5.What is the NRI quota in MBBS?
In addition to the All India and State quota, there is a special 15% reserved special quota for NRI students (non-residents of India) called the NRI quota. The NRI quota is specifically reserved by MCI for students living and studying outside India but is of the country of origin. Thanks to the NRI quota, these NRI students can easily get admission in these 15% reserved places and study in Indian medical colleges. Indian origin (POI) and Overseas Citizens of India (OCI) are also included in the NRI quota.
6. What documents are required from an NRI student to appear for the NEET exam?
Documents required from NRI students is an ID – a valid visa and passport number, grade 10 and 12, or an equivalent eligibility test sheet. During the NEET exam, students are required to carry only their admission card and identity card.